15 October, 16:11
In what way did the post world war 1 peace conference negatively impact the middle east
15 October, 18:11
World War I transformed the Middle East in ways it had not seen for centuries. The Europeans, who had colonized much of the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century, completed the takeover with the territories of Arabia, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Palestine. The modern boundaries of the Middle East emerged from the war. So did modern Arab nationalist movements and embryonic Islamic movements. NPR's Mike Shuster reports on World War I and its aftermath as he continues his series on the history of Western involvement in the Middle East. With the onset of WWI, the French and the British sent armies and agents into the Middle East, to foment revolts in the Arabian Peninsula and to seize Iraq, Syria and Palestine. In 1916, French and British diplomats secretly reached the Sykes-Picot agreement, carving up the Middle East into spheres of influence for their respective countries. That agreement was superceded by another which established a mandate system of French and British control, sanctioned by the new League of Nations. Under the mandate system, Syria and Lebanon went to the French. The British took over Palestine and three Ottoman provinces of Mesopotamia and created modern-day Iraq."Everyone understood at the time that this was a thinly disguised new form of colonialism ...," says Zachary Lockman, professor of Middle East history at New York University. "The British and French had no thought of going anywhere anytime soon, and fully intended to remain in control of these territories for the indefinite future."But almost immediately after the war, Arab resistance movements emerged to challenge European dominance.
Know the Answer?
New Questions in Social Studies
Do foxes make a veriaty of different sounds? did i spell that wrong?
How was the geography of ancient China similar to that of other river valley civilizations, such as Egypt and Mesopotamia?
Most stable country south of the Sahara?
What was the best result of the Vietnam war
What was the role of the Roman catholic church in feudal Europe
There is an 80% chance of rain tomorrow and a 20% chance the football game will be postponed. What is the probability that it will rain tomorrow and the football game will be postponed?
Write a paragraph explaining how the early 19th century role of the citizen differed from that of the Revolutionary era. Phrased another way, what did the term "citizen" mean in 1787 and in 1830?
Emily convinced her mom to buy a giant box of her favorite cereal. Her mom doesn't think the box will fit on their shelf. The volume of the box is 10,000 cm^3 The base of the box is 25 cm by 10 cm. How tall is the box of cereal?
If the person can't accommodate and the glasses is + 2.50d, at which distance will the person see clearly
Is the sentence correct: I'm sorry I can't see what you mean.
⭐️ Social Studies
» In what way did the post world war 1 peace conference negatively impact the middle east