16 August, 00:38
What is the bill of rights
16 August, 00:46
The Bill of Rights are the first ten amendments, of which give people rights under the law (Like a foundation of what you can and cannot do).
16 August, 00:54
When the Founding Fathers were trying to pass the Constitution, they had difficulties getting every state to ratify it. A lot of them demanded rights such as freedom of speech and religion and the right to keep guns. Because of this, a Bill of Rights had to be added which made 10 Amendments (edits) to the Constitution, each outlining a specific right that Americans would have. More have been added since, and these Amendments are still used today to determine if laws are fair.
You'll be able to see that a lot of these aren't as applicable today but were vary important to those in the colonies because they had been fighting wars with the British and dealing with a lot of different forms of oppression.
These ten Amendments are:
1. Freedom of expression (freedom of speech, religion, protest, etc.)
2. Right to bear arms (right to own guns)
3. Right to refuse quartering during peacetime (you can't be forced to house armymen without your permission)
4. All searches and seizures should be reasonable and require a warrant.
5. Rights of defendants in court (once not guilty, can't be retried ... right to remain silent and right to an attorney, also)
6. Rights of those on trial (a fair, speedy trial ... some of the above might be 6)
7. Right to trial by fair jury
8. Limits on bail & punishments
9. The people have rights not listed in the Constitution.
10. The US gov't only has powers which are clearly outlined. All others fall to the states and to the people.
Know the Answer?
Not Sure About the Answer?
Find an answer to your question 👍
“What is the bill of rights ...”
in 📗 Social Studies if the answers seem to be not correct or there’s no answer. Try a smart search to find answers to similar questions.
Search for Other Answers
You Might be Interested in
Under adverse conditions, the likelihood that a child will demonstrate resilience depends on the influence of:
The term used in strategic implementation that describes a statement of activities or steps needed to accomplish a plan and whose use is to make the strategy action-oriented is A. a program B. a course of action C. a procedure. D. a budget E.
Which mountain chain separates france and spain A. alps B. Andes C. Pyrenees D. ural
How well do you think the structure of Congress addresses the concerns about the power of large states and the influence of public passions on legislation?
Economic productivity has declined in some countries as a result of:
New Questions in Social Studies
Brodie just started saying single words such as "mama" and "doggie." about how old is brodie likely to be? select one:
What was the europeans contribution to the new world?
What is a sign that your toddler is ready to be toilet trained? She shows her dolly how to go "potty." She can hold her urine but has no control over bowel movements. She asks for a dry diaper.
Which task eould the executive office of the president most likely be responsible for?
Has judge judy been sued for wrong decisions
» What is the bill of rights